Holiday Berry Meringue Wreath
Serves: 10 - 12
Recipe of the Day: Berry Meringue Wreath
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 3½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Cranberry Sauce:
- One 10-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and drained if frozen
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Leaves from 1 bunch fresh mint
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 225 degrees F. Line the back of a baking sheet with parchment. Use a 12-inch bowl as a stencil: Flip it upside down and trace a 12-inch circle onto the parchment. Use a 9-inch bowl to trace a circle inside the 12- inch one. This is the outline of your wreath.
- For the wreath: Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in the very clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until thick and opaque, about 1 minute more. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, ¼ cup at a time, and beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Build the wreath: Using the template on the parchment as your guide, drop dollops of meringue in a line along the inside of the 12-inch circle. Use a rubber spatula to help clean off your spoon between dollops. Following the 9-inch circle and slightly overlapping the outer ring of meringue, make an inner ring of meringue dollops to fill in the rest of the template. Flatten the meringue slightly with the back of the spoon, making sure to keep a lot of peaks. Bake the meringue until it is dry, crisp, and pearly white on the outside, about 2 hours. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the cranberry sauce: Bring the cranberries, sugar and lemon juice to a simmer in medium saucepan and cook until the cranberries are soft and just begin to burst and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely. Gently fold in the raspberries and pomegranate seeds. Whip the heavy cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Before serving, spread the whipped cream on the meringue. Spoon over the cranberry sauce and sprinkle with mint leaves.
Recipe of the Day: Berry Meringue WreathSave this recipe: http://bit.ly/2neSAOr.
Julkaissut Food Network Torstaina 7. joulukuuta 2017