Almost-Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
Recipe of the Day: Almost-Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 7 -inch sourdough bread boules (round loaves)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2½ cups (about 8 ounces) grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bread bowls: Using a sharp knife, cut a circle into the top of each loaf, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers, leaving a thick bread shell.
- Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli. Return to the pot. (Or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender.)
- Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Add up to ¾ cup water if the soup is too thick. Ladle into the bread bowls and garnish with cheese.
Recipe of the Day: Almost-Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup 🥦🧀Save this recipe: http://bit.ly/2oCVg6z
Julkaissut Food Network Maanantaina 5. maaliskuuta 2018