Texas-Style Chili with Brisket
Texas chili is purely beef-driven: no beans allowed. This version boasts smoky, complex, deep flavor from a mix of dried chiles and chili powders. Perfect for a slow-simmered Sunday meal, the leftovers can be used as a meaty nacho layer, or hearty baked potato topper.
- 3 pounds flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes 1 pound beef stew meat 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 dried ancho chile, seeded
- 1 (6-ounce) can unsalted tomato paste
- 4½ cups water, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) lager beer (such as Shiner)
- 5 tablespoons masa harina
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add one-quarter of beef to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure 3 times with 3 teaspoons oil and remaining beef.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 8 ingredients (through dried chile); sauté 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 cups water and beer; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 2 hours or until beef is very tender. Combine remaining ½ cup water and masa in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add masa mixture and hot sauce to pan; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard dried ancho chile and bay leaves. Sprinkle with green onions.
How to Make Texas-Style Chili with Brisket
Texas-Style Chili with Brisket: Make a batch this weekend to enjoy throughout the week. http://trib.al/B8s3LGk
Julkaissut Cooking Light Lauantaina 17. marraskuuta 2018