Cheesy Croissant Casserole
Out of all of our amazing and holiday-worthy breakfast bakes, this is one of my favorites. The contrast between the crispy, flaky edges of the croissant and the soft, cheesy middle is very special. If you're able to, assemble everything the night before and bake it off the next morning.
- 6 large croissants, quartered
- 6 slices bacon
- 8 eggs
- 3 c. milk (preferably whole)
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 2 tsp. chopped thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 c. shredded Gruyère, divided
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
- Butter, for pan
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spread croissants on a large baking sheet cut side up and bake until golden brown, 6 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate, then chop into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, chives and thyme. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, then stir in about ¾ cup Gruyère and ¾ cup mozzarella.
- Lightly butter a 9-x-13” baking dish. Scatter croissants and cooked bacon into baking dish, then pour egg mixture on top. Press down gently on croissants to make sure they’re fully soaked in the mixture. (If you have time, refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight.)
- When you're ready to bake casserole, preheat oven to 350°. Top casserole with remaining cheeses. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Garnish with more chives and serve warm.
Pro tip: Croissants are the secret to the most flaky, buttery breakfast casserole.Full recipe: http://dlsh.it/SWj7D9i
Julkaissut Delish Sunnuntaina 18. maaliskuuta 2018