Bell Pepper Meatball Subs
Bell peppers can be so much more than just forgotten dippers.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ⅓ c. breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 (15-oz) jar marinara
- 4 bell peppers, cored and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan, egg, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix until just combined and form into 16 balls.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until seared on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add marinara sauce to skillet and toss to combine. Cover skillet with lid and simmer until meatballs have cooked through completely, about 10 minutes more.
- Place bell peppers cut side-up on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Top 4 halves with mozzarella slices. Bake until cheese has melted and bell peppers are just warmed through.
- Add meatballs on top of the bell pepper halves with cheese and sprinkle with more parmesan, if using. Place remaining bell halves on top and serve.