Gluten-Free Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting
These gluten free lemon cupcakes are loaded with fresh lemon and are topped with a fresh blueberry frosting. They make a wonderful fruity dessert!
- Lemon Cupcakes:
- ½ c butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c white rice flour*
- ½ c tapioca starch*
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c milk (almond or soy milk works great too)
- 2 lemons zest
- ¼ c lemons juice
- Blueberry Frosting:
- 4 Tbsp butter softened
- ⅓ c fresh blueberries
- 3 ¾ c powdered sugar
- 1-2 milk optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Spray each with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar. Mix for 1 minute on medium.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix on medium for another 2 minutes, or until mixture becomes fluffy.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, powder, soda and salt. Toss to combine.
- Alternatively add dry ingredients and milk into the butter/sugar mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Lastly, mix in lemon juice and zest until well combined. (You might have to do this by hand since the mixing blade might trap the zest if you have long strips!)
- Fill each cupcake muffin liner to ¾ full and bake cupcakes for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the Blueberry Frosting:
- Place butter, blueberries and 2 c. powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Cream until incorporated. Add next cup of powdered sugar and cream until incorporated. Add the last ¾ c. of powdered sugar (and maybe 1-2 T. milk, depending on your desired consistency) and cream until smooth.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with blueberry frosting and enjoy!