Chicken & Waffles
Making fried chicken and waffles at the same time is quite a feat. Brining your chicken beforehand is NOT required!
- FOR FRIED CHICKEN
- 1 qt. buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- Mix of bone-in chicken thighs, breasts, and drumsticks (about 2 lbs.)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 c. cayenne
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Large eggs
- FOR WAFLLES
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 oz. sour cream
- 1 c. milk
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for waffle iron
- 3 Large eggs, separated
- Brine chicken: In a large bowl, mix together buttermilk and 2 tablespoons salt. Add chicken and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight
- Meanwhile, make waffles: Preheat oven to 200°. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, butter and egg yolks. Gently fold wet mixture into dry mixture.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped egg whites into batter, being careful not to over mix. (A few fluffy streaks of whites are fine!)
- Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instruction. When the iron is hot, brush grates with melted butter. Spoon about ⅓ cup of batter into waffle maker and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Place cooked waffles in a clean kitchen towel on a baking sheet. Place in oven to keep warm while preparing chicken.
- When ready to fry: Fill a Dutch oven fitted with a candy thermometer with vegetable oil until 2" to 3" deep, then preheat until oil reaches 350º. Prepare one sheet pan lined with paper towels and a wire rack.
- Transfer chicken from brine to another sheet pan and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep bowl, whisk together flour, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. In a large bowl, beat eggs with 2 tablespoons water. Using tongs, place chicken in egg mixture, roll in flour mixture, and shake off excess. Fry chicken in 2 batches until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes (internal temperature should read 165º). Bring oil back to 350º before adding last batch.
- Place chicken on wire rack and season with salt immediately. Plate waffles with a pat of butter and top with 2 to 3 pieces of fried chicken. Serve with maple syrup on the side for drizzling.