Zucchini Baked "Ziti”
Low-carb pastas are a necessity. Pasta is just so crave-able and this zucchini hack for ziti makes the best guilt free option.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 large zucchini, sliced into ¼" coins
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, plus more for garnish
- 1½ fresh ricotta
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return saucepan over medium heat and add tomato paste and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes more, until slightly darkened. Add crushed tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in zucchini and basil and season again with salt and pepper.
- In a large baking dish, place half the zucchini in an even layer. Dollop all over with half the ricotta, and sprinkle with half the mozzarella and Parmesan. Add rest of zucchini in an even layer on top, and top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake until cheese is melty and zucchini is tender, 25 minutes. Garnish with basil before serving.