Elmlea Cajun Shrimp Mac 'N' Cheese Balls
Featuring fiery spices, tangy cheese and juicy prawns, these balls are ideal for summertime snacking. It’s crispy, creamy, cajun finger food at its finest!
- 400g raw shrimp/prawns
- 50g + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 40g flour
- 2 tbsp + 1tbsp cajun seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 300g cooked macaroni
- 350g sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 2 pots Elmlea Single
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 100g Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 150g Panko Breadcrumbs
- Neutral oil, for deep-frying
- Fry the garlic in butter until fragrant, then tip in the prawns and half the cajun seasoning. When the prawns turn pink, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the 50g butter. Once foaming, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until it smells biscuity. Add the elmlea single, a little at a time, ensuring to beat out any lumps as you go. Add the cheese gradually, until fully incorporated and very smooth. Whisk in the hot sauce, remaining cajun seasoning and the parmesan. Check for salt.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta, then add the prawns, spring onions and parsley.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a lined tray and transfer to the fridge to set. When cold, roll into balls, then dust with flour, dunk in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Heat your oil to 175°C and fry the balls until golden brown, crisp and piping hot.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!