Inside Out Red Velvet Cookies
These red velvet cookies are STUFFED with cream cheese frosting
- FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- FOR COOKIE DOUGH
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Make cheesecake filling: Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Mix well until mixture is smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until slightly firm, about 30 minutes.
- Make cookie dough: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, food coloring, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Make cookies: Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough and flatten into a pancake-like circle on the baking sheet. Place about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling on top. Bring the edges of the dough around the filling and pinch the edges together to seal, adding more dough if necessary to cover completely, then roll the filled dough into a ball. Space cookies about 3" apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.