Chicken Teriyaki Pineapple Bowls
Chicken teriyaki pineapple bowls taste like a tropical vacation.
- 1 small pineapple
- ⅓ c. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. pineapple juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¾ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. water
- 2 c. cooked rice, for serving
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Make bowls: Slice pineapple in half, leaving the stem intact. Slice the fruit around the perimeters, angling your knife towards the middle, then make a few cuts across. Scoop chunks out with a spoon and reserve about 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice for sauce. Chop pineapple into smaller pieces to garnish (or snack on) later.
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil.
- Season chicken all over with salt. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add chicken in an even layer and cook underneath, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on second side, about 3 minutes more. Pour sauce over chicken and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Make slurry: Whisk together cornstarch and water, then stir into sauce. Simmer until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Divide rice and chicken between bowls and garnish with chopped pineapple, sesame seeds and green onions, if using.