This Sangria Cake is so much better than birthday cake.
- FOR CAKE
- 1 box white cake
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 c. Sangria wine
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Red food coloring
- Purple food coloring
- FOR FROSTING AND DECORATING
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- ¼ c. brandy
- Pinch kosher salt
- ½ c. blueberries, plus more for garnish
- ½ c. raspberries, plus more for garnish
- ½ c. chopped strawberries, plus more whole and halved for garnish
- ½ orange, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 3 8" cake pans with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk to combine cake mix, egg whites, wine, oil, orange zest, and salt. Add red and purple food coloring until desired color is reached. Divide evenly between prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 17 minutes. Let cakes cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined, then gradually beat in brandy a tablespoon at a time. Add a pinch of salt and whip until smooth.
- Place a dab of frosting on cake plate (to keep cake in place) and place parchment strips on each side of the cake plate. Place down first cake and top with frosting. Smooth into an even layer, then scatter with half the fruit (reserving orange for garnish). Repeat process with second cake, topping with frosting and remaining fruit, then top with final cake. Frost the entire outside of cake and garnish with fruit.