Strawberry Upside Down Cake
If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, you can use a 12" cake pan!
- 1 lb. strawberries, thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1¾ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ c. sour cream
- ½ c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 12" oven-safe skillet, add a parchment circle, then grease again.
- In a large bowl, stir together strawberries, brown sugar, and cornstarch until fully coated and juicy. Add to skillet and spread in an even layer.
- Make cake batter: In small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, sour cream, butter, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter over the strawberry mixture and spread as evenly as possible with a rubber spatula. If you need to, use wet hands to spread batter over berries.
- Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the skillet, about 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter or large plate and gently remove parchment paper. Let cool completely or refrigerate before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream