Giant Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll
This giant cinnamon roll is stuffed with thinly sliced apples and drizzled with a caramel cream cheese frosting. In other words: IT'S INSANE.
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- Cooking spray
- ⅔ c. warm milk (100-100º)
- ¼ c. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (0.25-oz.) package active dry yeast
- 2¾ c. all purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened and cut into cubes
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 tbsp. melted butter, divided
- ¾ packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- ¼ c. caramel
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-4 tbsp. heavy cream
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- Grease a large bowl with cooking spray. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine milk and 1 teaspoon sugar and sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together flour, remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar, and salt on medium speed. Add yeast mixture and egg. Mix until a very soft dough forms, about 5 minutes. Increase mixer to medium-high speed and add butter a tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition, until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer dough to greased bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY + BAKING:
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and dust with more flour. Roll out into a large rectangle, about 15x12-inches. In a small bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons butter, ½ cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Brush dough with melted butter all over, then sprinkle filling mixture evenly on top. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Cut dough lengthwise into six 2-inch wide strips. Loosely roll up one strip and place it in the center of the pan. Coil remaining strips around center roll to create on large rolled cake.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter, and ¼ cup brown sugar. Insert apple slices to fill gaps between dough.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again in a warm spot until nearly doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake cinnamon roll until golden, 20 to 35 minutes, covering the roll with foil if necessary.
- FOR THE GLAZE + SERVING:
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients (add cream by the tablespoon) until smooth and at your desired consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over warm cinnamon roll cake and serve warm.