Tunnocks Salted Caramel Cake
This easy caramel sauce hack makes simple work of a fancy-looking cake. If you’re super-short on time, whisk caramel sauce into pre-made frosting too.
- FOR CAKE
- 1 (425g) box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients on box
- 75 g caramel sauce
- FOR FROSTING
- 150 g butter, softened
- 300 g icing sugar (powdered)
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 25 g caramel sauce
- FOR DECORATION
- Caramel sauce
- Sea salt flakes
- Caramel chocolates, such as Tunnocks Caramel Wafers
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan) mark 3. Grease and line a 20.5cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl, prepare cake batter according to package directions. Remove a third of the batter to a separate bowl and stir in the caramel sauce.
- Alternate putting spoonfuls of half the vanilla and caramel batters into the tin. Swirl together briefly, then bake for 50 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then remove on to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Put the butter, icing sugar and milk in a large bowl. Whisk together with an electric hand whisk until combined and fluffy. Whisk in the caramel sauce. Alternatively, put all the frosting ingredients in a food processor and whiz until smooth.
- Put the cake on a serving plate and slice horizontally into two equal layers. Take off the top layer and set aside. Spread half the frosting over the bottom layer. Drizzle over a little caramel sauce and sprinkle over a little sea salt. Put the second cake layer on top and spread over the remaining frosting. Drizzle over more caramel sauce and decorate with the caramel chocolates, more sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes.