Tater Tot Casserole
This casserole is a total guilty pleasure. If you're trying to lighten it up, ground turkey or chicken would be a delicious swap out for the beef.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 c. medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb. ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. grated cheddar, divided
- 1½ c. frozen peas
- 1½ c. frozen corn
- 1 lb. frozen tater tots
- 3 slices cooked bacon, cut into ½" strips
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425º. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until softened, 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no pink remains, 6 minutes. Drain fat from skillet and return to heat.
- Add cayenne and flour and stir for 1 minute. Pour in broth, then bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Fold in 1 cup cheese, peas, and corn.
- Transfer meat mixture to a 9"-x-13" baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and scatter tater tots and bacon in a single layer over the beef filling. Bake until cheese is melted and tots are golden, 27 to 30 minutes.
- Let rest for 2 to 3 minutes and garnish with scallions before serving.