Apple Cider Glazed Cornish Hen
This will make you forget ALLLLL about turkey...
- 1 Tyson Cornish Hen
- 3 Honey Crisp apples, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut in to 1" thick slices
- FOR APPLE CIDER MARINADE
- 1 (12-oz) bottle hard apple cider
- ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- FOR APPLE CIDER GLAZE
- 1 c. apple cider
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. chopped rosemary, plus 1 sprig for stuffing chicken
- In a zip top bag marinate the bird for 4-6 hours in the hard cider and olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and reduce liquid for 5 to 7 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Remove the bird from marinade and pat the skin dry. Prep the bird by removing anything from the cavity, rub the skin with melted butter, and season with salt and pper. Stuff cavity with a couple slices of apple and fresh rosemary. Brush on some of the glaze and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then baste with more glaze. Continue to baste every 15 minutes with the cider glaze and the pan juices. If the skin is cooking too fast, tent it loosely with foil. Continue cooking for about 50-60 more minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the bird reads 165º.
- To serve with roasted apples and red onions: toss remaining apples and red onions in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add to baking sheet with chicken when 40 minutes of cook time remain, and roast until tender. Serve chicken with roasted apples and onions.