Jalapeño Popper Scalloped Potatoes
You can't go wrong with cheese and crispy potatoes.
- 10 slices bacon, chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lb. russet potatoes (about 4 to 6 depending on size), peeled and thinly sliced into coins
- 2 c. shredded Cheddar
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- GET INGREDIENTS Powered b
- Preheat oven to 400º. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy and drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet.
- Add butter to skillet and let melt. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in heavy cream and chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes, then stir in cheddar until melty. Remove from heat.
- Spoon a thin layer of cheese sauce into the bottom of a large casserole dish. Add a single layer of thinly sliced potatoes. Spoon more sauce over potatoes and top with cooked bacon and jalapeños. Continue to layer until dish is mostly full.
- Bake until sauce is bubbly and potatoes very tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let rest at least 15 minutes before serving.