Reuben Mac & Cheese
Reuben Mac & Cheese is comfort food on crack.
- 1 lb. cavatappi
- 8 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- Kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5½ c. whole milk
- 3½ c. shredded cheddar
- 2 c. shredded Swiss
- 1 c. sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- 10 oz. corned beef, sliced and cut into 1" pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Russian dressing, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until barely al dente. Drain immediately.
- Melt butter in the same large pot you used for pasta. Remove and transfer 2 tablespoons butter to a medium bowl. Add panko, caraway seeds, ½ cup Parmesan, and ½ teaspoon salt to bowl and toss. Reserve for topping.
- Add flour to pot with butter and whisk until foaming and a light pale roux paste forms. Whisking constantly, slowly add about ¼ cup milk to roux until completely incorporated. Continue to gradually whisk in milk, very slowly, until mixture is bubbly and thickened.
- Turn off heat and whisk in cheddar, Swiss, and remaining ½ cup Parmesan until melty. Mix in pasta, sauerkraut, and corned beef. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9"-x-13" baking dish and top with panko mixture.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and panko is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Russian dressing on the side.