Death By Chocolate French Toast
We've died and gone to chocolate heaven.
- 1½ c. semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for garnish
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. chocolate milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 loaf brioche, sliced 1 " thick
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Make chocolate ganache: Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat heavy cream just until it bubbles, about 5 minutes. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let sit 5 minutes, then whisk constantly until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly, then transfer to a Ziploc bag.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk eggs with chocolate milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare bread: Cut a 2” wide slit into the bottom of each slice to create a deep pocket. Fill each pocket with chocolate ganache. (You should have about half left over for drizzling.)
- Place stuffed bread into the chocolate custard mixture and let soak, 1 minute per side.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Cook 2 slices bread at a time until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat to cook all slices.
- Top French toast with whipped cream, a drizzle of ganache, and chocolate chips.