Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
If there's one dish you should master, let it be this one!
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (910 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 4 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 4 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (230 g), divided
- ½ cup canola oil (120 mL)
- 8 slices deli ham
- ¼ cup shredded gruyère cheese (25 g)
- 8 lasagna noodles, oven-ready
- fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- CHEESE SAUCE
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups warm milk (960 mL)
- 1 ½ cups shredded gruyère cheese (150 g)
- 1 ½ cups swiss cheese (150 g), shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Slice the chicken breasts in half into cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 2 teaspoons basil, and 2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- In another medium bowl, beat the eggs.
- In another medium bowl, combine 1½ cups (75 G) of panko bread crumbs, the remaining 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons basil, 2 teaspoons onion powder, and 2 teaspoons oregano.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Bread the chicken cutlets by coating in the flour mixture, then in the egg, and finally in the panko.
- Working in batches, fry the breaded cutlets in the hot oil for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Make the cheese sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the butter and flour. Cook until the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the warm milk until fully incorporated. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the Gruyère and Swiss cheeses until completely melted. Add the salt and stir to combine.
- Spread about ⅓ of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch (22x30 cm) baking dish. Top with 4 lasagna noodles, 4 chicken cutlets, and 4 slices of ham. 13. Repeat to make another layer and then top with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (25 G) of panko bread crumbs and the Gruyère cheese over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.