Carrot Cake Cupcakes
"I am a beginner with baking and this was an absolute success for me."
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. milk
- 1 c. grated carrots (from about 2 medium)
- ¾ c. toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350° and line two muffin tins with liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add milk and mix until combined, then fold in carrots and pecans. Fill liners ¾ full with batter and bake until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until no lumps remain. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth, then add vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and frost cupcakes. Top with toasted pecans.