Meatball Lasagna is the perfect marriage of two Italian classics.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 1 lb. ground veal
- 4 tsp. Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ c. breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2½ c. ricotta cheese
- 1 (24-oz.) jar marinara
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 oz. dry lasagna noodles
- 1½ lb. shredded mozzarella
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, pork sausage, and veal. Season with 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Add eggs and breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper, then mix until incorporated. Form into 1 ½-inch balls.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high and fry the meatballs, working in 2 batches, until lightly browned all over, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside and let cool.
- Transfer cooled meatballs to a new bowl and mash them up with a fork. Add ricotta to the bowl and mix to combine.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add marinara and butter. Season with salt, pepper, and remaining Italian seasoning, and heat until warmed through.
- In a large baking pan, add a layer of sauce, followed by the ricotta mixture, followed by a layer of mozzarella. Add a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat layers two more times. Top with a generous layer of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with foil and Bake at 350° for 50 minutes, then remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.