Key Lime Pie Cake
Treat yourself this summer with our delicious Key Lime Pie Cake.
- 2 limes
- 20g caster sugar
- For the cake:
- 170g unsalted butter, soft
- 340g sugar
- 200g sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 420g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 250ml whole milk
- Zest of 2 limes
- For the lime curd:
- 115g caster sugar
- 25g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- For the lime buttercream:
- 400g butter, softened
- 600g icing sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 8 tbsp condensed milk
- 60g digestives biscuits, crushed into a crumb
- Heat your oven to 100°C/200°F.
- Slice your limes into thin rounds. Lay these on a tray lined with baking parchment and bake for around 4 hours, until the slices feel totally dried about and not tacky to touch. Toss in sugar.
- Heat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F.
- Place your butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat for a few mins until it is light and fluffy. Add your sour cream and beat until totally incorporated. Add your eggs and whisk again until the mixture is thick.
- Combine your flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add your flour gradually and whisk until incorporated, alternating with the milk until both are finished.
- Pour your mixture evenly between 3 cake tins and bake for 20 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in tins for 5 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the sugar, butter, eggs and lime juice in a pan and cook on a low heat for about 10 mins, whisking all the while, until it becomes thick. Strain through sieve into a bowl and stir through the lime zest. Leave to cool.
- Cream your butter in a stand mixer for a few minutes until it is smooth and light. Add your condensed milk and lime juice and beat again until it is fully incorporated. Add you icing sugar a large scoop at a time, waiting until the previous lot is incorporated before adding more. Once all the sugar is in, beat the icing for a few minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on a cake board. Pipe icing around the outer rim, then spoon some lime curd in the middle. Top with the next cake and repeat. Ice the top and sides of the cake with the buttercream.
- Decorate the edge with crushed digestives and dehydrated lime. Serve!