Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos
Serves: 14 tacos
Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos that will give you the same flavorful bites as Al Pastor.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons achiote
- 1 ½ teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, dividedd
- 2 cups pineapple (490 g), cubed
- FOR SERVING
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (40 g)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 limes, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with the achiote powder, ancho chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, thyme, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until well coated. Spread the butternut squash in an even layer on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the squash for 45 minutes, tossing halfway, until deepened in color and the spices have darkened.
- Add the pineapple to the same bowl where the butternut squash was seasoned and toss to coat in the remaining marinade. Spread in an even layer on the other baking sheet.
- Bake the pineapple for 25–30 minutes, until softened and slightly shrunken.
- Toss the roasted butternut squash with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the baking sheet.
- Warm the tortillas, one at a time, directly over a medium flame on a stovetop burner until the edges are charred and the tortillas are pliable. Keep warm by wrapping in a kitchen towel while you repeat with the remaining tortillas. Alternatively, microwave the tortillas until warmed through.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon butternut squash and pineapple into each tortilla. Top with onion, cilantro, and avocado. Serve with lime wedges.