Vegan Aquafaba Chocolate Ice Cream
This ice cream recipe is great for anyone who doesn’t consume dairy, but still wants a scoop of a classic chocolate treat!
- ¼ cup coconut oil (60 mL)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (240 mL), canned
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (30 g)
- ¾ cup aquafaba (85 g), from 1 15-ounce (400 g) can of chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar (120 g), plus 2 tablespoons
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the coconut oil and coconut milk. Microwave for 45 seconds, until the coconut oil is melted.
- Whisk the cocoa powder into the coconut milk mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the aquafaba, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the mixture for 6 minutes until light, fluffy, and tripled in volume.
- Sift in the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating to incorporate between each addition, about 3 minutes. The mixture should be shiny and have a satin-like appearance.
- Carefully fold the chocolate coconut mixture, ¼ cup (30 G) at a time, into the whipped aquafaba. Do not overmix or you will lose volume.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 ¾-quart loaf pan.
- Freeze uncovered for at least 6 hours, up to overnight. The ice cream will keep in the freezer, covered, for 2 weeks.