Whiskey-Glazed Chicken And Shrimp With Garlic Mashed Potatoes
This whiskey-glazed chicken and shrimp will have you drooling within the first 60 seconds. Then stick around for the garlic mashed potatoes... YUM!
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved and pounded thin
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 large shrimps, peeled and deveined
- WHISKEY GLAZE
- 1 cup pineapple juice (240 mL)
- ⅔ cup water (160 mL)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (60 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup white onion (35 g), minced
- 2 tablespoons pineapple, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- MASHED POTATOES
- 6 medium red skin potatoes, quartered
- cold water, as needed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Drizzle the halved head of garlic with the olive oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Wrap the garlic in foil.
- Bake for 40–50 minutes, until the garlic cloves are golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Season the chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the eggs and panko to 2 shallow dishes.
- Coat the chicken breasts in the eggs, then dredge in the bread crumbs, making sure bread crumbs adhere to the chicken.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, add the chicken to the hot oil and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 5–8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan to remove any remaining oil and bread crumbs.
- Season the shrimp with ¼ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Coat the shrimp in the eggs, then dredge in the bread crumbs, making sure the bread crumbs adhere to the shrimp.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2–3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan to remove any remaining oil and bread crumbs.
- Make the whiskey glaze: Squeeze the cloves from one half of the roasted garlic head into a medium bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic cloves into a paste. Add the pineapple juice, water, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and brown sugar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sauce into the same skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, whisk in the lemon zest and juice, onion, crushed pineapple, whiskey, and cayenne. Gently simmer for 20–30 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and syrupy.
- While sauce is cooking, make the mashed potatoes: Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch (2 ½ cm). Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the warm pot. Add the remaining half head of roasted garlic cloves. Mash into the potatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Add the butter and cream and stir to incorporate. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken and shrimp to the skillet and turn to coat in the sauce. Transfer the chicken and shrimp to plates with a few spoonfuls of the mashed potatoes and garnish with the parsley.