Red Velvet Trifle
The best gift you can give to guests.
- 1 box red velvet cake mix (plus ingredients called for on box)
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 5 c. heavy cream, divided
- 1½ c. sugar
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare red velvet cake mix batter according to package instructions and pour into one or two round baking pans roughly the same circumference as trifle dish. Bake according to package instructions, then let cool completely. Remove cakes from pans and wrap in plastic wrap, then place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Slowly add 3 cups heavy cream and sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Transfer to the fridge until ready to assemble.
- In another bowl, beat 1 cup heavy cream and powdered sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. Transfer to the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Make ganache: Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat remaining 1 cup heavy cream until small bubbles appear around the edge. Immediately pour cream over chocolate chips and let sit 5 minutes. Stir until glossy and smooth. Transfer to the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Assemble the trifle: Remove cakes from freezer and slice crosswise into ¼" layers. Place one layer on the bottom of trifle dish and top with a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers of cake and cream cheese until dish is almost full, then add a layer of whipped cream. Let trifle sit 1 hour.
- Just before serving, drizzle trifle with ganache, then serve with remaining ganache.