Ding Dong Cake
THE RECIPE OF DAY.
- 630g all-purpose flour
- 1200g granulated sugar
- 250g good unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 620ml buttermilk, room temperature
- 340ml vegetable oil
- 6 extra-large eggs room temperature
- 6 tsp vanilla extract
- 500ml freshly brewed hot coffee
- Meringue Cream
- 250 ml cup egg whites (approx. 8 eggs, we tend to use pre-bought egg whites in a carton)
- 300g sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 500g soft butter, at room temp (at least 22 degrees Celsius)
- 600g dark chocolate
- 600ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk this into the dry mix until you have a smooth, lump free batter. Stir in the coffee.
- Pour into a large lined baking tray and bake for around an hour. Don't open the oven door!
- Meanwhile, heat a small amount of water in a saucepan. Set a heatproof glass bowl above it and add the eggs, sugar and salt, Stir together until they reach 70°C.
- Remove from the heat and whisk vigorously until they form stiff peaks. Keep whisking until they are below 30°C.
- Add the butter, a cube at a time. At one point the mixture will look like it's curdled, but keep going and it'll smooth out again.
- When the cake is cool, cut it evenly in half and smooth the meringue buttercream between the two halves. Pop the cake in the fridge.
- Heat the cream until it starts to steam and feels hot to the touch, then pour it over the chocolate and gently fold it all together to make a smooth ganache. Allow it to cool and thicken before pouring over the cake.
- Pop in the fridge to let the ganache set and serve. Yum!