Vegan Chocolate Cake
A rich and moist vegan chocolate cake recipe layered with an avocado frosting. Add more or less maple syrup depending on the ripeness of the avocados and bananas.
- FOR THE CAKE
- 150 ml (5 fl oz (¼ pint)) vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing the tins
- 450 ml (15 fl oz (¾ pint)) Alpro fresh coconut milk alternative
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 250 g (9oz) golden caster sugar
- 250 g (9oz) plain flour
- 75 g (3oz) cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- FOR THE MOUSSE FILLING
- 3 medium, ripe avocados, peeled and de-stoned
- 2 small ripe bananas
- 100 g (3 ½oz) cocoa powder
- 7 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. vanilla bean paste
- 75 ml (3 fl oz) Alpro fresh coconut milk alternative
- TO DECORATE
- Handful pistachios, chopped
- Zest 1-2 limes
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) mark 4. Grease 2 x 20cm.5 (8in) loose-bottomed cake tins with oil and line the bases with baking parchment. Mix the coconut milk and vinegar in jug, leave to stand for 10min and to allow it to slightly curdle.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar, flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and vanilla to the jug with the milk mixture. Then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients, whisking with a balloon whisk until combined and smooth. Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 30-35min, until risen and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 15min, before transferring them on their baking parchment to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- When ready to assemble, whizz together the mousse ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Using a large, sharp serrated knife carefully cut each cake into two layers by slicing them through the middle. Place the bottom layer onto a cake stand and spread over ¼ of the chocolate mousse using a palette knife. Top with the second layer and repeat until you’ve layered all four with all the mousse.
- Top the cake with pistachios and lime zest.