Cacio e Pepe
Cacio e Pepe should be a weeknight staple for every home cook.
- ½ lb. pasta
- 2 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- ¾ c. freshly grated pecorino, plus more for garnish
- ¾ c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve ⅔ cup pasta water and drain pasta.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil. Add a generous amount of black pepper and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ⅓ cup reserved pasta water and bring to simmer. Whisk in remaining butter then, using tongs, toss pasta into butter mixture.
- Add cheeses and toss constantly until cheese is melty, removing skillet from heat when about half the cheese has melted. (If sauce is too thick, loosen with more pasta water.)