Caramelised Onion Toad in the Hole
Caramelised Onion Toad in the Hole is a warming weekend classic!
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Red onions, finely sliced
- 1 pack (160g) The Vegetarian Butcher Little Willies Sausages
- 140g Plain flour
- 2 Egg
- 175ml Skimmed milk
- 2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- 100g Grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp Fresh thyme
- 300g Chestnut mushrooms
- 50g Butter
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 40g Flour
- 150ml Vegetable stock
- In an ovenproof pan, add olive oil, red onions and salt. Fry your onions on a medium-low heat until the onions have caramelised. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add your Little Willies to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes or heated through. Then add your onions back into the pan and stir.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, drop in your egg and beat in the milk a little at a time until a smooth batter forms.
- Then fold in the mustard, cheese and fresh thyme into the batter. Pour the batter into the hot pan over the sausages and caramelised onions. Place into a preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the batter is risen and golden.
- While your toad in the hole is baking, make your mushroom gravy.
- In a pan, fry sliced chestnut mushrooms in butter or oil until they begin to brown. Once softened, add in finely chopped garlic, sautée mushrooms and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in your flour and stir through the mushroom mixture for 4-5 mins, once the raw flour has cooked off, slowly pour in hot vegetable stock little by little stirring as you go.
- Once a thick gravy has formed, add in the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- When your toad in the hole has cooked, serve with plenty of gravy and enjoy!