Ultimate Coconut Cake
Going loco for this coconut cake.
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 2½ c. all-purpose flour, plus more for pans, sifted
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ c. sweetened shredded coconut
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. coconut milk
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1½ c. sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two 8” round cake pans with butter and line with parchment. Grease parchment with butter and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl once during mixing. Add vanilla and almond extracts and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and buttermilk to batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, then fold in coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and smooth top with a knife. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks for 30 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks to let cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and coconut milk until fluffy and combined. Slowly add powdered sugar until creamy.
- Spread one round cake layer with coconut frosting, then place second cake on top of it. Frost top and sides of cake, then sprinkle all over with coconut and press coconut onto sides.