Leg of Lamb
Trying to decide how to do your lamb? You really can't go wrong with this easy-peasy, super tasty recipe.
- 2½ kg leg of lamb
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- ½ tbsp. oil
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 4 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 4 oregano sprigs
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Take the lamb out of the fridge an hour before roasting. Pat skin dry with kitchen paper.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan) mark 7. Cut the rosemary into smaller sprigs and rub oil over the lamb. Cut small slits all over the meat and insert garlic slivers, rosemary sprigs, bits of anchovy and leaves from two of the oregano sprigs into the gaps. Season well.
- Put onion slices in the base of a roasting tin just large enough to hold the lamb. Top with remaining oregano, then the meat, fat-side up (the onions must be covered to prevent them burning). Tuck lemon wedges around the meat.
- Put lamb into oven and turn down heat to 190°C (170°C fan) mark 5. Roast for 15min per 450g (1lb) for pink meat, longer if you like it more cooked.
- Transfer lamb to a board (reserving roasting tin and its contents to make gravy if you wish) and cover with aluminium foil. Rest for 30min before carving.