Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
This chicken and sweet potato curry is absolute comfort food goals. Thanks to the spices, it's gorgeously fragrant, and the addition of coconut milk makes it creamy.
- 8 Skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 700 g sweet potato, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 10 Curry leaves
- 5 Green cardamom pods
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 5cm piece ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Green chilli, finely sliced and seeds removed
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Small bunch coriander
- 1 Lime
- 400 ml tin reduced fat coconut milk
- 100 ml Vegetable Oil
- Heat 50ml of vegetable oil in a heavy pan over a medium heat. Crush cardamom pods with the back of a knife and remove the black seeds. Add to pan with curry leaves and fry for 2mins. Add onion, garlic, chilli and ginger and fry gently for 8-10 minutes, until soft and slightly golden.
- Remove the onion mixture from pan and set aside in a bowl. Add rest of oil to the pan. Over a medium heat fry your chicken thighs until browned on both sides.
- Return onion mixture to the pan along with turmeric, cumin, coriander, sweet potato, coconut milk and 200ml of water. Mix well to combine and cook at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Before serving squeeze in the juice of one lime, chopped coriander and season with salt.Serve with brown rice and steamed Bok Choi.