KFC-Style Chicken Burger
It's aaaall in the crumbing (and the layering...)
- 100 g Chilli Heatwave Doritos
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 hash browns (we used frozen ones)
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. sriracha, depending on how hot you like it
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 cheese slices
- 4 sesame topped burger buns, halved horizontally
- 8 little gem lettuce leaves
- 4 tsp. spicy tomato salsa
- Preheat your oven to 220ºC (200ºC fan) and line a large shallow baking tray with foil.
- To make the Dorito crumb, whiz the Doritos in a food processor until they resemble large breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor pop the Doritos into a sealed freezer bag and bash with the back of a pan or a rolling pin. Transfer to a plate.
- Lay the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film on a chopping board then beat with a rolling pin or the back of a pan until slightly flattened and evenly around 2cm-thick.
- Add the flour to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Add the beaten egg to another plate. Working one at a time, coat each chicken breast in flour, then egg and Dorito crumbs. Transfer to the lined baking tray and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Drizzle the oil over the chicken then season with salt and pepper. Bake the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the hash browns according to instructions.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, sriracha and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the chicken and hash browns are cooked, lay a slice of cheese on each piece of chicken. Add the halved burger buns to a tray and return both to the oven until the cheese is melted and the buns are warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a quarter of the spicy mayonnaise on the bottom of the bun and top with 2 slices of lettuce. Then, top with a piece of the chicken, followed by 2 hash browns and a quarter of the salsa.