Elegant Steak is like Beef Stroganoff—but better.
- 1½ tbsp. oil (vegetable or extra-virgin olive)
- 1½ lb. round steak
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (10.5-oz.) can mushroom soup
- 1 (4-oz.) can sliced mushrooms
- ½ c. dry sherry
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked egg noodles or rice, for serving (optional)
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Cut steak into thin strips. In a large deep skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high, heat oil. Working in batches, add steak and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until seared all over, about 10 minutes. Add onions and and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add soup, mushrooms, sherry, and 2 cups water (or however much water your can of soup calls for.) Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 1 hour, until meat is extremely tender. Or transfer to oven and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Serve with egg noodles or rice. Garnish with parsley before serving.