Party Size Italian Melt
Crusty ciabatta bread, sandwiched with homemade Italian vinaigrette, spicy salami, salty prosciutto, fresh baby arugula, roasted peppers, provolone AND mozzarella.
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup mixed Italian olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 6 thin slices spicy salami
- 6 thin slices prosciutto
- 6-12 thin slices pepperoni
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn
- 1 red or orange pepper, roasted and sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the vinaigrette. In a jar or small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano, until combined. Add the olives, jalapeños, and a pinch of pepper.
- Lay the bottom piece of ciabatta bread cut side facing up on a baking sheet. Spread the vinaigrette over the bread. Layer the basil, salami, prosciutto, and pepperoni on top. Add the provolone and mozzarella. Transfer to the oven and bake 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from the oven and add the arugula, bell peppers, and top half of the ciabatta bread. Gently cover the sandwich with foil and return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted. Remove the foil and cook an additional 5-10 minutes, until the bread is toasted.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 3-4 minutes. Slice into 4 larger or 8 smaller sandwiches. Serve and enjoy!