Summertime Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Tangy Slaw
All my friends raved about these fried chicken sandwiches! This recipe for fried chicken is surprisingly easy and SO GOOD. Just soak, dredge, and fry!
- Wet Ingredients for Chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (see notes!)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix (see notes!)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar)
- 1 large egg
- Dry Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix
- 4–5 cups peanut oil for frying
- Tangy Slaw:
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup mayonnaise (Greek yogurt is a good sub)
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sandwich Add-Ons:
- Brioche buns
- Swiss cheese
- Pickles, pickled jalapenos, etc.
- Honey dijonnaise
- MARINATE: In a plastic bag or glass bowl, combine the chicken with all the wet ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
- BATTER: In a shallow bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the oil.
- SLAW: Toss all your ingredients together!
- FRY: Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan until a speck of water sizzles across the top. Using tongs, shake excess liquid off the chicken pieces. Coat each piece in the dry flour mix. Add to the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes on one side, then 2-3 minutes on the other side until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little more salt (to taste).
- ASSEMBLE: Build your ideal summertime fried chicken sandwich! I like bacon, Swiss cheese, honey dijonnaise, pickles, and slaw!