Fried Chicken BLT with Jalapeño Honey
Presenting the sandwich to end all sandwiches: the fried chicken BLT with jalapeño honey. Blogger Aida Mollenkamp shows us how to build this epic stack that’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- ½ cup honey
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, sliced, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed or peanut) for frying
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 7 large eggs
- 2 large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain or sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 handful micro greens
- In a small saucepan, bring the honey to a low boil. Add the jalapeño slices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Warm before serving.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, fresh basil, sriracha and smoked paprika. Store in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Heat the oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot fitted with a thermometer. Do not fill the pot more than halfway with oil. Season the chicken with the salt. Add the flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate. In a medium bowl, beat together the hot sauce and three of the eggs. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, coat well in the flour and then transfer to a plate.
- Working in batches, place a few pieces of the chicken in the hot oil and fry until it’s brown, crisp and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate, pat dry and then drizzle with the jalapeño honey.
- Drizzle the tomato slices with just a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, let stand 5 minutes and then drain on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat and fry the remaining 4 eggs until crispy around the edges, about 4 minutes.
- Build sandwiches using the toasted bread, spicy mayo, bacon, fried chicken, tomatoes, avocado, fried eggs and micro greens.