Dark Chocolate and Amaretti Semifreddo
It would be wonderful to step back in time for a day, to again be on a train headed for beautiful Italy, but since that will not be happening any time soon I would say this dark chocolate semifreddo makes a pretty fantastic substitute. Buon appetito!
- 250g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 50g castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500ml double thick cream
- 100g amaretti biscuits, slightly crushed
- extra amaretti biscuits for decorating
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Grease a large loaf tin and line with cling wrap.
- Melt the dark chocolate and leave to one side to cool. Whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks and castor sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk on high speed for a few minutes until pale and thick. Whisk in the vanilla extract and cooled chocolate.
- Add the cream and whisk until everything is combined. Carefully fold in the egg whites by hand. Lastly, fold in the amaretti biscuits.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Cover and freeze until firm (about 4 hours).
- Remove the tin from the freezer just before serving. Carefully turn the semifreddo out onto a serving platter. Top with crushed amaretti biscuits and a dusting of cocoa powder. Slice with a sharp knife and serve immediately.