Lemon Drizzle Traybake
This Lemon Drizzle Traybake is so easy to make.
- 110 g unsalted butter, softened
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 170 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 90 ml milk
- Zest of 1 large unwaxed lemon
- FOR THE CANDIED LEMON HALVES:
- 1 small unwaxed lemon
- 150 g caster sugar
- FOR THE DRIZZLE:
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 50 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) and lightly grease and line a 20.5cm (8in) square tin with baking parchment. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat together until combined (about 3 mins).
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25 mins until golden and firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile make the candied lemon slices: halve the lemon lengthways then cut into 12 x 2mm slices. Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the lemon slices for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat this process one more time. Dissolve the sugar in 125ml water in a pan over a medium heat. Add the lemon slices to the pan and cook for 15mins. Remove slices and set them on some baking parchment to cool slightly.
- Make the drizzle: mix lemon juice and sugar together until well combined.
- Remove the cake from the oven and pour over the drizzle whilst still warm. Place the lemon slices at equal intervals over the cake (in a 3 x 4 formation). Allow the cake to cool in the tin before cutting into 12 equal slices.