DIY Potato Smileys
Remember smiley potato fries?!
- 750 g floury potatoes (such as Maris Pipers), peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg, beaten
- 50 g cheddar
- 30 g panko breadcrumbs
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water until tender, 15 minutes. Drain and leave to dry until cool. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat your oven to 240°C (220°C Fan). Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and mash until smooth then stir through the flour, egg yolks, and cheese then season with salt and pepper. Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and divide it between the trays, keeping them well spaced apart. Flatten each until they are a circle then brush each round with beaten egg. Scatter over the panko breadcrumbs and press into the potato rounds.
- Using the tip of a skewer, poke 2 eyes and a smile in each round. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Leave to firm up for a few minutes before serving.