Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Chicken
This refreshing, tasty rice noodle salad is perfect for a hot summer day, served with lots of raw crunchy vegetables, seared chicken, and nuoc cham sauce.
- FOR THE CHICKEN & MARINADE:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- FOR THE NUOC CHAM SAUCE:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 red chili (de-seeded and sliced, or substitute 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or Sriracha)
- ½ cup cold water
- TO ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS:
- 200 g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 large carrot (julienned)
- 1 seedless cucumber (julienned)
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce (finely julienned)
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken thighs with your marinade ingredients, and set aside for 30 mins to an hour while you prepare the other salad ingredients.
- Combine all the nuoc cham ingredients and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved into the sauce. Taste and adjust any of the ingredients if desired.
- Boil the rice vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside in a colander.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. You could also heat a grill pan or grill for this. Sear the chicken for about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
- To assemble the salad, combine the rice noodles with bean sprouts, julienned carrots and cucumber, romaine lettuce, mint, and cilantro. Slice the chicken thighs and add to the salad. Serve with your nuoc cham sauce.