Croque Madame Breakfast Casserole
Now you can have all the deliciousness of the classic sandwich in casserole form! This breakfast casserole recipe is a keeper!
- 1 french baguette or crusty loaf cut into 1 inch cubes about 3-4 cups
- 6 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs plus extra for topping the casserole
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3½ cups Gruyere cheese grated and divided
- 2 cups cooked ham diced
- FOR THE BÉCHAMEL SAUCE
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the bread to the egg mixture along with the grated cheese and diced ham.
- Using your hands or a spatula, mix the ingredients well making sure the bread has been well soaked in egg.
- Transfer the whole mixture from the bowl to a 2-quart oven-safe dish and spread out evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, make the béchamel sauce by melting the butter in a non stick pan.
- Add the flour and whisk together for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add 1¼ cups of the milk, whisking constantly over medium heat to get rid of any lumps. Save a quarter cup of the milk for later. The sauce will thicken as it cools and that’s okay.
- Add the nutmeg when the sauce is smooth. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside until the casserole is done.
- Once the casserole is done, take the foil off. Turn the oven up to 425 degrees F.
- Bring the béchamel sauce back to the burner and place on low heat. Whisk the remaining quarter cup of milk into it until it’s smooth again.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the casserole and then top with the remaining 1½ cups grated Gruyere.
- Place back into the oven and bake for a further 8 minutes uncovered.
- Take the casserole from the oven and carefully create two slightly sunken holes with the back of a spoon.
- Crack an egg into both holes and place back into the oven or under the broiler until the egg whites are firm.
- Sprinkle with extra fresh thyme and serve alongside a hot cup of coffee.