If you like French toast, you're going to LOVE Portuguese Rabanadas.
- 3½ c. milk
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey, plus more for serving
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lemon peel from half a lemon
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 baguette, preferably day old, cut into 1" thick slices
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 c. cinnamon sugar
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel together. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place beaten eggs into a shallow dish. Working one at a time, dip sliced bread into milk, then into eggs, turning to coat well in each.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough oil to come ½” up the sides of the pan. Working in batches, fry soaked bread until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined cooling rack. Toss in cinnamon sugar immediately.
- Serve warm with extra honey, if desired.