Seared Ahi Tuna Lettuce Cups
Leaves of butter lettuce are filled with healthy brown rice, daikon radish, carrots and slices of fresh seared ahi tuna. Topped off with a drizzle of orange teriyaki sauce.
- FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- pound Half a of sashimi grade ahi tuna
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Butter lettuce
- 3 cups brown rice cooked and cooled
- 1 piece of daikon radish about 4 inches long cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped salted cashew nuts
- Make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, garlic and orange.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together then add to the sauce.
- Bring to a boil and whisk until it thickens slightly. Set aside.
- Rub the tuna with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Roll in the sesame seeds to completely cover.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick pan until hot.
- Place the tuna in the pan and sear on one side for about two minutes.
- Flip the tuna over and cook for a further two minutes. This should be enough to still have the tuna be rare in the center.
- Let the tuna rest.
- Pick out some nice butter lettuce leaves and place on a serving platter, about 8
- Place a heaped tablespoon of brown rice onto the lettuce.
- Slice the tuna into thin strips about 4 inches long and place one piece on top of each pile of rice.
- Top each piece of tuna with some daikon and carrot strips.
- Sprinkle each lettuce cup with some chopped green onion and cashew nuts.
- Lastly, drizzle some of the orange teriyaki sauce over each lettuce cup and serve immediately.