Have a sunshine-y bowl of this satisfying soup.
- KHAO SOI SPICE PASTE
- 6 dried long red chillies, seeded for less heat
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part bruised and soft inside finely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece of galangal, peeled and, roughly chopped
- 2 Asian red shallots, peeled, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 Makrut lime leaves, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste
- FOR THE SOUP AND ASSEMBLY
- 2 c. plus 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Khao soi spice paste (recipe above)
- 1 13.5-oz can coconut milk
- 5 c. water
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. ground palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4 c. wonton noodles or cooked egg noodles, divided
- Chopped fresh cilantro, Asian shallots cut into small wedges, lime wedges, sambal oelek, and chopped pickled mustard greens, for serving
- MAKE THE KHAO SOI SPICE PASTE
- Make the paste: In a small skillet, toast the chilies, coriander, and cumin seeds over medium heat, shaking often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush to a powder. Add the turmeric, salt, soft part of the lemongrass, galangal, red shallots, garlic, lime leaves, shrimp paste and crush until ingredients form a paste.
- FOR THE SOUP
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or other large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the curry paste to the pot and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and whisk to combine. Slowly add the water, fish sauce, palm sugar, and remaining lemongrass. Return the chicken to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, covered, until chicken is falling off the bone, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, heat remaining 2 cups vegetable oil over high. Add 4 ounces wonton noodles and fry until the noodles puff and become golden and crispy, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Cook remaining noodles according to package directions; rinse under cold water and drain.
- To serve, divide noodles, broth and chicken among bowls. Top with cilantro, Asian shallots, lime, sambal oelek, mustard greens and crispy noodles.