Bacon Brussels Sprouts Spaghetti
Proof that bacon and brussels belong together.
- 12 oz. spaghetti
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ c. shredded Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 8 minutes. Drain half the fat (if you want) and return to heat. Add shallot, garlic, and brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and cook until sprouts are tender and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Make cheese sauce: To skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until golden, 1 minute.
- Pour over milk and chicken broth and season with pepper. Let simmer until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan until creamy, then add cooked pasta and coat completely. Return brussels-bacon mixture to pasta and toss until just combined.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with more Parm.