Smashed Brussels Sprouts
You need to make Smashed Brussels Sprouts this fall.
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- ¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Blanch Brussels sprouts: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts to ice bath to cool then drain.
- On a large baking sheet, toss blanched Brussels sprouts with oil, garlic, and thyme. Using the end of a small glass or mason jar, press down on Brussels sprouts to smash them into a flat patty. Season each smashed Brussels sprout with salt and pepper, then sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Bake until bottoms of sprouts are crispy and cheese is melty and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.